Why Botswana?

I had a very good friend ask me today what I am hoping to come out of my two years in Botswana. It made me stop and think for a bit and really reflect on what I would desire for my life to look like after being there for two years and what it is about Botswana that is drawing me there (other than God's calling, of course). Well, here is what I came up with:

1. I think I 'fit' more in Botswana because of the priorities there. There is much more importance on having and investing in relationships with people there. This fits well with my personality, as I love developing relationships with people, especially spending time in good conversation, one of my favorite things to do. There is so much less of an emphasis on acquiring 'things' and 'moving up the ladder' so to speak. The pace of life is amazing...no need to rush around to the next thing on the 'to-do' list. There is a general sense of appreciating each moment as it happens. I love that! People are also so passionate about the Lord. When they give their hearts to something, they passionately give it all. Amazing!

2. I pray that during my two years in Botswana, God will open my eyes to a whole new way of living for Him and worshipping Him. When the distractions around us lessen, it is so much easier to put more focus on Him. I look forward to fellowshipping with other believers from another culture and watching how they live out their relationship with Jesus daily. I hope to feel a purpose in each and every day, to enjoy every minute of my time there. I pray for the opportunity to be used by God to bring others to know Him more and help them develop into the people God created them to be. I want to see a whole new side of Andrea opened up by living in this new country and culture, and to become more of the person that God created me to be.

I am more excited than I can express at the thought of being there, in Botswana, Africa, every day for two years. I know there will be moments of loneliness and homesickness, but I pray in those moments that I would draw close to the Lord, knowing He is there beside me each and every moment. May my life truly be changed by this new chapter and adventure. I can't wait to walk this journey with each of you beside me, praying me through, and experiencing things with me, even being on opposite sides of the world! Isn't God amazing!

No comments: