More New Beginnings

The past few days have been very full! Sunday morning was amazing...I can't adequately explain to you just how beautiful those kids are. They are so generous with smiles and hugs, and my heart is warmed from just being around them for a little while. I'm so excited to get to work with the children's ministry at church while here. I hope to have lots of pictures because the kids LOVE to get their picture taken!

Monday I got all moved in to the dormitory and it is so great! My room is set up, I am unpacked, and I finally feel really settled. Things are very quiet there for now, but not for long...the first boarders come on Saturday! I've taken advantage of my time there alone to pray over the building, that God would do amazing things in the girls who will be living there. I pray that all who enter the dorms feel His Presence, His peace, and His love, and that the girls who are moving in will be forever changed by their time here. I can't wait to meet each of them!

Yesterday and today I have been busy with school preparations. I got keys to my classroom, which is so beautiful! I love all the space and windows. Plus, it is right across from the dorms, so I have a VERY short walk to work every morning! I got copies of all the textbooks for standard 5 and have been reading them, trying to get a feel for what I will be teaching. It's comforting that so much of it is what I have already taught in the States. Social Studies will be interesting because I will be teaching the kids about Botswana history and culture. I will be learning right alongside them!

Yesterday I had a special moment. I took a minute to stop and really observe my surroundings. This place is so peaceful! There is so little noise here...all I could hear yesterday evening was the birds chirping and the occasional rustling of leaves. The only movement I really saw was the ants scurrying around and the birds flying above. Then I noticed the sky...wow!! I can't paint a good picture with words, but it was painted with various shades of pink and purple as the sun was setting. I regretted for a minute that I didn't have my camera, but then realized that a picture would never do it justice anyway. I just stopped and absorbed everything in that moment and realized that this is what true peace feels like. Everything about this place just warms my heart and makes me feel so at peace. I feel God's Presence so strongly and can only give Him praise and glory for calling me here and providing for me every step of the way. I hope you feel that you are able to experience Botswana a little bit through me...and maybe God will one day provide a way for you to be here yourself!

Please notice the link on the right to get to my pictures. I will be updating it, so be sure to check back again. I'll leave you with a verse that God showed me last night.

"I will extol you, my God and King, and bless your name forever and ever. Every day I will bless you and praise your name forever and ever. Great is the Lord, and greatly to be praised, and His greatness is unsearchable." Psalm 145:1-3

4 comments:

Abby said...

This posting is such a blessing to me. I'm glad to hear that you are at peace there. If only we all would stop to take in His wonders more often.

Tisha said...

So glad to get so much detail about your visit! I almost feel as though I'm there with you. lol! I'm so excited for you! Hoping for more to come....

Anonymous said...

Ms. Murray-I'm glad you got to Botswana safely and I like all the pictures. All the kids at Giddens Elementary miss you. I'll check back soon!

Anonymous said...

Andrea, I just read all your postings to the kids and they loved all the pictures. They miss you and can't wait for you to come back! lol
You look like you are right at home. Bless you and know that we are praying for you daily!