Giving Thanks

Today is the first Thanksgiving I've spent away from home. It's been a bit emotional at times, but I am happy to say that I still celebrated Thanksgiving today. All week long I have been teaching my students about the history and meaning of this holiday we celebrate in America. One of their homework assignments was to make a list of as many things as they could that they are thankful for, with a prize for those who reach 100. The kids came back with over 100, (one of them even reaching 230!) and a new appreciation for all that they have in life to be thankful for.

Today in class we pulled our desks together and had a "mini-feast" as a class family. No, it wasn't turkey, mashed potatoes, and green been casserole...it was actually hot dogs, chips, and fruit. :) But the meaning and celebration were there. We took turns praying before we ate and then as we passed the food around the table, we each shared something we are thankful for this year. It was a beautiful celebration and one of the most meaningful ones for me. Here are a few pictures from today's "feast". :)


Gathered around the table

Saying "Happy Thanksgiving!"

Digging in!

We even had dessert...and just ignored the "Merry Christmas" on the cake. :)

I have so much to be thankful for this year. I have a wonderful family and friends who I love with all my heart. I have so many people who have become extended family to me as they have supported me and walked this journey to Botswana out with me through their prayers, encouragement, and financial support. I have even discovered more "family" here in Botswana and am incredibly thankful for these relationships God has put in my life while I am so far from family and friends back home. I live with precious teenagers who have a heart after God and teach some truly incredible kids, who I have grown to love. I may not have a table full of family or turkey this Thanksgiving, but I most definitely have a very full heart of thanks. Happy Thanksgiving!

No comments: