Sunburn, part 2

It's been a while since I had my last sunburn, so I guess it shouldn't surprise me when I get such funny reactions from my kids at the current state of my skin. On Friday I was at our annual inter-school sports day competition at Maun's stadium, and I was one of the recorders. This means I was sitting at a table near the finish line, recording the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place finishers. It wasn't a hard job at all and I actually really enjoyed it. The only problem, though, is that I had to sit in the sun for five hours. Some of that time was in the morning, when it is still cold outside, (we're in winter now) but enough of the time was spent in the direct sun for my face to acquire a new red-orange color.

Yesterday and today I've been receiving weird looks and stares from the teenagers, along with several questions like, "Miss, what happened to your face??" One of my girls said yesterday she thought my face was just red from taking a nap, but then she said, "I kept looking at you and it wasn't going away!" She also proceeded to tell me a lot of the kids were laughing and making comments in Setswana, trying to figure out what was going on with my face. This, to me, is hilarious!! I have to keep reassuring them that it will go away and my normal color will return...maybe after a little bit of peeling, of course.

I forget what a surprise something like a sunburn can be to those who never experience it. Thank you, sun, for providing new, interesting conversations and fun laughter around our boarding hostel.

1 comment:

Leah said...

that's so funny that it's so foreign to them!